Organizing For Exporting
- A company new to exporting generally treats its export sales the same as domestic sales.
- Two key advantages of separating international from domestic business are:
- The centralization of specialized skills needed to deal with international markets.
- A focused effort on export sales.
- Separating international from domestic business may be done at different levels in the organization.
- For example, at first a company may create an export department with a full or part-time manager.
- Reporting to the head of sales.
- Later on, a company may choose to increase the autonomy of the export department.
- Reporting to the company president.
© 2004 John Michael Pierobon