- People improve their negotiating skills by taking courses and attending seminars.
- Skilled negotiators do the following:
- Set in their minds a firm position of the minimum they will accept before starting the negotiations.
- The walk away from the deal if they cannot get at least the minimum.
- Always have at least two people on their side.
- One to talk.
- One to listen and take notes.
- Volunteer to draft the agreements.
- The other party must react and respond to the revisions.
- Because this means extra work the other party is usually willing to let do it.
- Do not make one small concession after another.
- Know how to delay the negotiation if they reach a difficult point.
- Have time on their side.
- Does not set strict deadlines.
- Always want a win-win situation.
© 2004 - 2005 John Michael Pierobon