- The major cause of altitude sickness is going too high too fast.
- Given time, your body can adapt to the decrease in oxygen molecules at a specific altitude.
- This process is known as acclimatization.
- When you arrive at a high altitude city, you should:
- Sleep when you arrive.
- Stay properly hydrated.
- Take it easy until you have acclimitized.
- Eat a high carbohydrate diet.
- The acclimatization process is inhibited by dehydration, over-exertion, and alcohol and other depressant drugs.
- Therefore you should avoid:
- Sleeping pills
© 2004 John Michael Pierobon