- When a handshake is unpleasant, negative character traits are associated with that person.
- A firm handshake made with direct eye contact sets the stage for a positive encounter.
- A handshake should be:
- Not too tight.
- Not like a fish.
- No fingertip handshake.
- There should be nothing but space between you and the person with whom you are shaking hands.
- If you are sitting at a desk or at a table, you should come out from behind the table or desk to shake the other person's hand.
- It is appropriate to shake the other person's hand at the beginning and at the end of a meeting.
© 2004 John Michael Pierobon