Uniform Resource Locator Parts
The general form of an URL has four parts
I understand the parts of an URL. What is a
- A scheme followed by a colon.
- Invokes a TCP/IP-based application level protocol
- Schemes are: http, https, ftp, news, mailto, file, telnet.
- A server name.
- A // followed by the host name or IP address of the server
- Not needed if the server is the default
- An optional port number. Standard or
default port numbers are:
|ssh || 22|
|smtp || 25|
|http || 80|
- A path.
- Consisting of folders and/or files.
- May include a file extension which identifies the type of document.
- May also include a QUERY_STRING with arguments.
* Ftp uses port 20 for
data and port 21 for flow control.