In this one-day course students discover answers these important questions about thermal sensors.
- Why should I worry about temperature?
- How do I measure temperature?
- What is the best way to measure temperature?
- What factors influence temperature measurement?
- What do all these technical terms mean?
- What is a thermocouple?
- What is a thermistor?
- What is a resistance temperature detector?
- How do I interface the sensor with what I am trying to measure?
- How do I protect the sensor from environmental conditions?
- How do I send temperature information where I need it to go?
- How do I select the correct thermal sensor for my application?
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Speak intelligently with vendors of thermal sensors
- Choose the right type of thermal sensor for their application
Temperature affects the properties of water and other industrial fluids. Temperature control is important during extraction, reaction, separation, processing and storage of products and thus the key to product quality. Temperature control is also of great importance in energy conservation. This course teaches how to choose the best thermal sensor for use in industrial applications.
Who Should Attend
This course is valuable for designers, engineers, environmentalists, technicians, project managers and anyone who is responsible for temperature control in industrial applications.
Method Of Instruction
Lecture, five short interactive quizzes, questions and answers, and one workshop exercise.
Course OutlineChapter 1: Temperature
Chapter 2: Terminology
- What Is Temperature
- Temperature Is Difficult To Measure
- Better Ways To Measure Temperature
- Importance Of Temperature
- Types Of Thermal Sensors
- Why Humans Need Thermal Sensors
- Why Computers Need Thermal Sensors
- Applications Using Thermal Sensors
Chapter 3: Thermocouples
- Electromotive Force
- Temperature Coefficient Of Resistance
- Resistance Versus Temperature
- Curie Temperature
- Self Heating Value
- Interchangeability And Accuracy
- Calibration Point
Chapter 4: Thermistors
- Thermocouple Origin
- Thermocouple Usage
- Thermocouple Advantages
- Thermocouple Limitations
- Other Problems With Using Thermocouples
- Thermocouple Standards
- Thermocouple Alloys
- Most Common Thermocouple Alloys
- Thermocouple Selection Factors
- Thermocouple Types
- Thermocouple Extension Cable Color Codes
- Thermocouple Protection
- Sheathed Thermocouple Probes
Chapter 5: Resistance Temperature Detectors
- Thermistor Advantages
- Thermistor Elements
- Thermistor Shapes
- Thermistor Types
- Thermistor Terminology
Chapter 6: Implementation
- Resistance Temperature Detector
- Resistance Temperature Detector Advantages
- Resistance Temperature Detector Materials
- Comparing RTD Element Materials
- RTD Construction And Packaging
- Resistance Temperature Detector Types
- Comparing RTD Element Construction
- Resistance Temperature Detector Configurations
- Resistance Temperature Detector Errors
- Selecting A Sensor
- Temperature Sensors And Their Properties
- Temperature Transmitter
- Measuring Temperature In Moving Fluids
- Measuring Surface Temperature